Further evidence tied to a drawing in the British Museum
collection suggests Dürer may have stopped in Vienna during his journey from his native Nuremberg to Venice. Alternatively, he could have traveled to the Austrian city to visit his friend, Conrad Celtis, a German humanist scholar who lived there between 1497 and 1508.
The rendering of Saint Leopold could be the last surviving wall painting by Dürer. Previously, the only known wall painting attributed to the artist was a set of murals he designed for Nuremberg’s town hall, which were executed by other artists. The building and its murals were destroyed during World War II.
St. Stephen’s Cathedral has begun a major conservation project on the triptych, and plans to publish its research later this year in an Austrian art and preservation magazine.