Page 0 of 10
The Bode-Museum, located on Museum Island Berlin, accommodates the Sculpture Collection, the Numismatic Collection and works from the Gemäldegalerie - Old Master Paintings.
The concept of the museum, which was originally called the Kaiser-Friedrich-Museum, can be traced back to Crown Princess Victoria of Prussia, who published her ideas in a memorandum in 1883. It was Wilhelm von Bode who finally put these ground-breaking ideas into practice. In 1897, construction work began at the northern tip of the Museum Island on a museum that was to be devoted to the Renaissance, designed by Eberhard von Ihne. Once completed, the museum would bear the name of Empress Victoria’s deceased husband, Kaiser (Emperor) Friedrich, who died in 1888. When the Kaiser-Friedrich-Museum opened in 1904, painting and sculpture, considered at the time as the ‘high arts’, were for the first time presented side by side on an equal footing with each other.
- ShowBeyond Compare: Art from Africa in the Bode-MuseumOctober 27, 2017 – December 31, 2019
- ShowThe Lost Museum. The Berlin Sculpture and Paintings Collections 70 Years After World War IIApril 19 – September 27, 2015
- ShowI Gave Gold for Iron. The Great War through the Medium of the MedalMarch 21, 2014 – September 30, 2015