In her most recent work Noble explores the the transition between various mental states, boundaries between reality and dream, materiality and imagination. Inspired by philosophy and poetry, Noble treats oil paint especially loosely, intuitively layering and removing colour.
These natural, almost arbitrary appearing compositions invite the viewer on a journey of imagination, presenting the liminal space between reality and dreaming. The hints of landscape look almost familiar, but as the shapes transform, break and change, we find ourself taken to one of those merging, ephemeral landscapes of our deepest dreams, and sometimes beautiful nightmares.
Noble is known for her atmospheric and sublime landscapes that appear at the same time familiar and otherworldly. With the help of her primary medium - oil paint, the artist explores and challenges the boundaries of the traditional genre of landscape, creating paintings that go beyond a mere representation of a physical space.
The source imagery becomes a mere hint, vague inspiration to Noble, who treats it with confident freedom. Thin layering of oil paint, abstract mark making and a varied palette all contribute to conveying an impression that the landscape is turning away from earthiness.
This metaphysical, transcendental nature of Noble’s work encourages contemplation and challenges preconceptions of our existence within nature. Working intuitively, Georgia Noble builds compositions through abstraction to create a final image that is free from formal structure and is open to interpretation.
Noble graduated from Manchester School of Art in 2015, and has been selected for a number of prizes and publications, including Saatchi’s “Invest In Art”, featuring most outstanding emerging artists worldwide. Georgia Noble’s work is in private and public collections in Europe, US, Canada and Australia.
She lives and works in Manchester, UK.
- 2011 'Art Exhibition' The Fylde Gallery, Lytham
- 2012 'Blackpool & Fylde End of Year Show' Blackpool
- 2014 'Alchemy' Madlabs, Manchester
- 2014 'A Christmas Show' Grovesnor, Manchester School of Art, Manchester
- 2015 'IST KUNST ISM' Federation House, Manchester
- 2015 'Fine Art Auction' Holden Gallery, Manchester School of Art
- 2015 'Manchester School of Art Degree Show' Grovesnor, Manchester
- 2015 'Northern Graduates' The Curwen Gallery, London
- 2015 'Test:bed' Abingdon Studios, Blackpool
- 2016 'The Lucky Jotter's 8th Exhibition' Blackpool
- 2017 'Material Matters' Saul Hay Gallery, Manchester
- 2017 'New Approaches' Abdoe Gallery, Manchester
Events and publications:
- 2015 Manchester Metropolitan University Purchase Prize Winner
- 2016 Saatchi Art 'Invest in Art' Featured Artist
- 2016 Fresh Paint Magazine June Issue 13, Featured Artist
- 2016 The Lucky Jotter, Selected Artist, Online Feature
- 2017 Archive Magazine 'The Earth Issue' Featured Artist