We are delighted to announce an exhibition celebrating 50 years since the gallery’s establishment as Annely Juda Fine Art in 1968. The exhibition will feature works by a selection of 50 artists who are either represented by or who have shown at the gallery. The exhibition marks the rich history of the gallery, which has been a stalwart and influential space for artists and visitors since its opening by Annely Juda and her son David Juda in Tottenham Mews, central London.
Annely Juda had already established the Molton Gallery (1960 – 1963) and then the Hamilton Galleries (1963 – 1967) in London before opening Annely Juda Fine Art with David Juda on 16th June 1968 with ‘Now Open: Important Paintings of the 20th Century and Young Artists’. This marrying of the twentieth-century avant-garde and contemporary art has carried on throughout the gallery’s history.
The gallery became known for exhibiting works of Russian Constructivism, Bauhaus and De Stijl showing artists such as Kandinksy, Malevich, Mondrian, Tatlin, Gabo, Lissitzky and Rodchenko, something which was rare at the time in England. Adopting the title Moholy-Nagy gave to his 1927 Bauhaus book of Malevich texts and illustrations, the gallery presented the first of many exhibitions devoted to abstract art titled ‘The Non-Objective World’ in 1970. As Norbert Lynton states, “with the Non-Objective World shows, Annely opened up, intensified and reshaped areas of modern art history little touched at that time by scholars, curators and collectors…”
The gallery has always shown and represented contemporary artists along with its historical program, partnering with the contemporary program of Rowan Gallery between 1982-1985. Stong relationships with Japan lead to the showing of Japanese artists of distinction such as Yoshishige Saito, Kazuo Shiraga, Katsuhiro Yamaguchi, Tadashi Kawamata and Yuko Shiraishi. Key British artists have always been central to the gallery’s program and long-standing represented artists include David Hockney, Leon Kossoff, Nigel Hall, David Nash, Alan Charlton, Alan Green and the Estates of Anthony Caro and Prunella Clough. International represented artists include Francois Morellet, Edda Renouf and Sarah Oppenheimer. A friendship stemming from the 1960’s between David Juda and Christo and Jeanne-Claude lead to the the artists’ first gallery exhibition in London in 1971.
In 1990, the gallery moved to its current location at 23 Dering Street off New Bond Street in London’s Mayfair and remains under the directorship of David Juda. It is obviously impossible to cover the breadth of the 342 exhibitions held at the gallery over its 50 years, however, this exhibition celebrates a slice of the gallery’s history by showing a selection of works by represented and exhibited artists.
Annely Juda Fine Art: Established as ‘Annely Juda Fine Art’ in 1968 by Annely Juda and David Juda • Specialises in British Contemporary, Russian Constructivism and works of twentieth-century avant-garde • Represents over 35 international artists including David Hockney, David Nash, Anthony Caro, Leon Kossoff and the Estate of Anthony Caro and Naum Gabo.
Annely Juda: Born Anneliese Brauer in Kassel, Germany in 1914 • Left Germany in 1934 for Israel, later moving to London in 1939 • Worked as a single mother in various jobs before becoming Secretary to art collector Eric Estorick • Opened the Molton Gallery (1960 – 1963) and then the Hamilton Galleries (1963 – 1967) in London before opening Annely Juda Fine Art with David Juda in 1968 • Became known for exhibiting works from the Russian avant-garde along with contemporary artists • Known as the ‘doyenne’ of British Art Dealers • Made a CBE for services to the arts 1998 • Died August 13th 2006
David Juda: Born 1946 in London • Joined his mother Annely Juda in the running of Annely Juda Fine Art in 1968 and remains Director to present day • Member of Executive Committee Society of London Art Dealers, Vice-Chairman 1986-90 and 1995-2001, Chairman 2014-2017 • Honorary Doctorate from Norwich University of the Arts 2012