FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEPHEN PACE: ABSTRACT EXPRESSIONIST OPENS THE FALL 2016 SEASON AT BERRY CAMPBELL GALLERY
NEW YORK, NEW YORK, AUGUST 8, 2016 - Berry Campbell is pleased to present an exhibition of Abstract Expressionist paintings (1950-62)—some previously never exhibited—by Stephen Pace (1918-2010). Pace is well known for two bodies of work: the dynamic abstract paintings he produced from 1949 to 1962 and the freely expressed figurative art, based in abstract principles that he created subsequently. This exhibition features the former, shedding light on the exploratory and inventive work Pace created in the context of the New York art scene in the postwar period, a time when artists drew from the intellectual art movements of Europe while exploring new directions that redefined visual thinking. Stephen Pace: Abstract Expressionist opens Thursday, September 8, 2016 and runs through October 8, 2016 with an opening reception on Thursday, September 8 from 6 to 8pm.
In 1961, the noted critic Thomas Hess extolled Pace’s place in this milieu, writing in the introduction to a show of his work: “Pace is a brilliant member of the second generation of New York School painters [who] burst on the scene in the early 1950s, fully made, as if from the forehead of the Statue of Liberty.” Helen Frankenthaler, Grace Hartigan, and Milton Resnick were among the other artists Hess had in mind. As art historian Martica Sawin noted of Pace’s art of this time, “The brush dragged across rough underpainting, the strategic drip, the brusque cancellation of any suggestion of latent image or defined shape, the look of struggle built into the layers of paint, the breaking apart of anything that might hint at order—these are all hallmarks of the work of the younger Abstract Expressionists.”
Born in Charleston, Missouri, Pace spent his early years working on his family’s farms in southeastern Missouri and Indiana. However, art was always part of his life. As a child, he used available materials—elderberries, coffee, or house paint—to paint on tin, glass, and even barn windows. At age seventeen, he received his first art instruction from WPA artist and illustrator Robert Lahr. Called up by the military in 1939, Pace served first at Camp Lee, near Petersburg, Virginia, where he shared a studio with Clyfford Still. Then in England he was pulled from the infantry to design chemical-resistant clothing and produce war-related posters. In 1944, he was reassigned to the Seine Base Engineers, arriving in Paris just after the Germans withdrew. One day, while drawing along the Seine, he made the chance acquaintance of Gertrude Stein. She invited Pace to her home, introducing him to Picasso, George Braque and Raoul and Jean Dufy, and then subsequently took him to Picasso’s studio.
After the war, Pace furthered his study of art on the G.I. Bill, enrolling at the Instituto Allende in San Miguel Allende, Mexico. There, he took a class in fresco from a former assistant to Diego Rivera and, in another chance encounter, met Milton Avery, who was visiting Mexico with his wife and daughter. Pace would become one of Avery’s closest friends; he and Mark Rothko were the only speakers at Avery’s memorial service in 1965. Pace moved to New York in 1947, settling into a cold-water flat on Mulberry Street in Little Italy and studying at the Art Students League under Morris Kantor and Cameron Booth. He soon began frequenting the Cedar Bar in Greenwich Village, where he met and engaged in discussions with Franz Kline and other Abstract Expressionists. Through Avery, with whom he reconnected, Pace got to know Rothko, Barnett Newman, and Adolph Gottlieb.
Shortly after marrying in 1949, Pace went to Europe with his wife Palmina Natalini (Pam). Supported further by the G.I. Bill, he studied in Paris (at the Académie de la Grande Chaumière) and in Florence (at the Instituto del Arte)—in Paris he shared a large studio with other American veterans, including Sam Francis and Frank Lobdell. Pace returned to New York in the fall of 1951. With a few months remaining on the G.I. Bill, he enrolled in Hans Hofmann’s school; he later studied with Hofmann in Provincetown, Massachusetts. Pace felt an immediate affinity with Hofmann, who, in turn, viewed Pace as one of his prize pupils. Hofmann stated this in a 1959 article in Look Magazine. In an exhibition catalogue statement for a two person exhibition of Stephen Pace and George McNeil, Hofmann comments, “most sincere congratulations to such magnificent choices in great contemporary talents…two remarkable painters with great plastic imagination and immense vitality and inventiveness in the realm of color.” When Hofmann’s classes became so popular that it was difficult for him to give students individual attention, he visited Pace’s studio to critique his work in person. In his art, Pace extended Hofmann’s ideas of the tension between volume and surface to vivid compositions in which he explored ways of making forms as free as possible without allowing them to lose their sense of belonging and confinement in their given formats. Dore Ashton wrote in 1960, that in Pace’s abstractions, on view at Howard Wise Gallery, “energetic elements battle their way to equilibrium. No matter how baroque Mr. Pace’s compositions are—and they are nearly all fretted with tilting and bucking forms—they do, ultimately come to rest.”
From 1953 to 1961, Pace was often included in annuals at the Whitney Museum of American Art, exhibiting alongside Kline and Hofmann. In 1954, he was represented in the third annual exhibition at the historically important Stable Gallery. His friendships with Willem and Elaine de Kooning and Jackson Pollock may have developed from the Stable show in which their work was also included. When Pace had a solo exhibition in 1954 at Artists Gallery, the poet and art critic Frank O’Hara stated in Art News: “He doesn’t cultivate a ‘look’; some paintings have a delicate breathy surface with ominous dry light behind, others are more outgoing in their organization and move in a public, rhetorical manner.” Sawin wrote in the same year: “Lavish with both paint and energy, Stephen Pace employs jumbled layers of color, scumbled, splattered and overrun by lines and dribbles in a burst of disorder and chaos. The shapes which dimly emerge amid the tumultuous jostling are of a biomorphic character reminiscent of Gorky, but painted with a freedom and abandon which has a dizzying effect.” Pace exhibited at Poindexter Gallery, New York, in 1956 and 1957, and from 1957 to 1966 at HCE Gallery in Provincetown. In 1959, he accepted the first of many teaching jobs at Washington University in St. Louis, taking a post just vacated by Max Beckmann. In 1960, he was included in an important exhibition of contemporary abstraction at the Cleveland Art Museum. Stephen Pace is represented by Berry Campbell.
Berry Campbell continues to fill an important gap in the downtown art world, showcasing the work of prominent and mid-career artists. The owners, Christine Berry and Martha Campbell, share a curatorial vision of bringing new attention to the works of a selection of postwar and contemporary artists and revealing how these artists have advanced ideas and lessons in powerful and new directions. Other artists and estates represented by the gallery are Edward Avedisian, Walter Darby Bannard, Stanley Boxer, Eric Dever, Perle Fine, Balcomb Greene, Gertrude Greene, John Goodyear, Ken Greenleaf, Raymond Hendler, Jill Nathanson, Stephen Pace, Charlotte Park, William Perehudoff, Ann Purcell, Albert Stadler, Mike Solomon, Syd Solomon, Susan Vecsey, James Walsh, and Joyce Weinstein.
Berry Campbell Gallery is located in the heart of the Chelsea Arts District at 530 West 24th Street, Ground Floor, New York, NY 10011. www.berrycampbell.com. For information, please contact Christine Berry or Martha Campbell at 212.924.2178 or email@example.com.