The inaugural exhibition, Remembering Henry’s Show: Selected Works 1978–2008, is a reference to an exhibition that the late Henry Geldzhaler curated in 1969 at The Metropolitan Museum of Art titled New York Painting and Sculpture 1940–1970. This exhibition established The New York School as the successor to the school of Paris and influenced the direction in which the Brant Foundation’s collection was built. Remembering Henry’s Show: Selected Works 1978–2008 will present more than 25 artists including: Donald Baechler, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Maurizio Cattelan, Larry Clark, Francesco Clemente, John Currin, Urs Fischer, Keith Haring, Dennis Hopper, Mike Kelley, Karen Kilimnik, Jeff Koons, Paul McCarthy, Adam McEwen, Cady Noland, Raymond Pettibon, Elizabeth Peyton, Richard Prince, David Salle, Kenny Scharf, Julian Schnabel, Jim Shaw, Cindy Sherman, Piotr Uklanski, Andy Warhol, and, Christopher Wool. Major outdoor sculptures will be installed around the site including Jeff Koons’ Balloon Dog (1994–2000); Paul McCarthy’s Santa (2002); and, Richard Serra’s Ali-Frazier (2001). Visitors will also be able to view Jeff Koons’ Puppy, the artist’s 43-foot tall topiary sculpture, featuring over 80,000 fresh flowers, which is installed nearby.
“It has been enriching to our family to build our collection, foster our relationships with the artists that we collect in-depth, and to share the collection with others through loans to important international museum shows and private tours of our home. As the collection has grown to now include more than 100 artists, we believe it is part of our stewardship to exhibit and share as much of the collection as possible. With the inauguration of the Art Study Center, it is our aim to make the collection available for study and viewing to scholars, art historians, artists, other collectors, and those who share our passion for art and design.” – Peter Brant
The Brant Foundation Art Study Center is located in Greenwich, Connecticut, and is situated in an idyllic, pastoral field. Richard Gluckman of Gluckman Mayner Architects has created a 21st century intervention that transforms the original stone barn, built in 1902 as a cold storage facility for local orchards, into an art viewing space. An 88’ by 25’ skylight is carefully introduced over the wood trusses from an earlier renovation. Three galleries and a video viewing room, each with specific spatial characteristics, are inserted into the historic structure. A 1,750-square-foot double-height gallery features a presentation wall measuring 25’ 11” by 30′, ideal for showing monumental works. Also on the ground floor are a reception area, the video viewing room, and a single-story 2,300-square-foot gallery. These spaces are finished with new, white plaster walls and terrazzo-ground concrete floors, affording an optimal setting for the display of art. The 1,500-square-foot mezzanine gallery is held back from the existing walls, allowing light to penetrate deep into the building and making the intervention distinct from the original structure. The oak floor of this upper-level gallery extends into the library with wood floors and ceiling and an existing stone hearth, retaining some of the earlier details of the building. The center will feature furniture by 20th century designers, and will house a collection of books on art and design, which will be available to visitors for study. A new stone, grass and mahogany terrace wraps the building and integrates it into the landscape.